When measured against how things are now, a tunnel to complete the 710 is projected to:
Reduce cut through traffic in local cities:
- Remove over 80,000 daily trips from the local street system which was NEVER intended to bear this level of traffic, a reduction of 8.5%.
- Reduce regional cut-through traffic from 24% of all cars on local streets (or approximately 1 of every 4 vehicles) to 10% (or 1 in 10 vehicles).
- Fewer congested intersections
Connect our freeway system for shorter commutes
- 14,000 fewer car and truck miles will be driven daily
Create the best solution to reduce congestion
- The tunnel option creates the maximum reduction in commute times of all options studied
- 17% fewer cars and trucks will be stuck in traffic congestion
Projections show that the population in Los Angeles County will grow 33% from 9.8 million in 2004 to 13 million in 2040. Traffic in the San Gabriel Valley alone will grow 37%.
If we don’t do something, we’ll be trapped by gridlock!