Metro is currently considering five alternatives, including the mandated "no build" option. Preliminary evaluations suggest that the single most effective concept in terms of improving traffic congestion, reducing greenhouse gas emissions and improving regional mobility is the Tunnel concept which completes the 710 freeway.
No Build Alternative
Not building leaves the 710 in its existing configuration with no additional lanes, tunnel, or interchange improvements. This option is a requirement of the environmental review process, and will result in a catastrophic increase in traffic.
Alternative 1: Transportation Systems Management Concept/ Transportation Demand Management
This option would try to manage the coming increase in traffic and population by creating minor improvements in surface street intersections. It will never be enough to stop the gridlock.
Alternative 2: Bus/Rapid Transit
This proposal creates rapid transit bus lanes and would increase public transportation. Unfortunately, it doesn’t take into account the amount of through traffic and wouldn’t do enough to solve the problems. It would take away a traffic lane on Atlantic for a dedicated bus lane, worsening traffic on surface streets.
Alternative 3: Light Rail
Like the bus option, extending the light rail system just won’t make enough of an impact on traffic at key times, and doesn’t address through traffic at all.
Alternative 4: Tunnel
710 Tunnel Concept is the best option to reduce traffic and improve quality of life for all of us in the LA region.
Metro has released the Alternative Analysis which provides an initial assessment of how well the five alternatives achieve the overall program goals. Links are provided below to the Executive Summary, the Alternative Analysis Report and the appendices included in the study.
- State Route 710 Study - Executive Summary (December 2012) PDF
- State Route 710 Study - Alternatives Analysis Report (December 2012) PDF
- Appendix A Performance of Unscreened Set of Alternatives.pdf
- Appendix B Review of Advanced Technology Options Technical Memorandum.pdf
- Appendix C Performance of Preliminary Set of Alternatives.pdf
- Appendix D BRT Preliminary Operating Plans Technical Memorandum.pdf
- Appendix E LRT Preliminary Operating Plans Technical Memorandum.pdf
- Appendix F Conceptual Engineering Report.pdf
- Appendix G Model Methodology Report.pdf
- Appendix H Existing Conditions System Performance Report.pdf
- Appendix I Forecast Results and Future System Performance Report.pdf
- Appendix J Performance of Initial Set of Alternatives.pdf
- Appendix K Right of Way Technical Memorandum.pdf
- Appendix L Park, Recreational and Community Facilities Technical Memorandum.pdf
- Appendix M Cultural Resources - Built Environment Technical Memorandum.pdf
- Appendix N Noise Technical Memorandum.pdf
- Appendix O Air Quality Technical Memorandum.pdf
- Appendix P Hazardous Waste Environmental Screening Technical Memorandum.pdf
- Appendix Q Visual Resources Technical Memorandum.pdf
- Appendix R Environmental Justice Technical Memorandum.pdf
- Appendix S Paleontological Resources Technical Memorandum.pdf
- Appendix T Geotechnical Study Technical Memorandum.pdf
- Appendix U Biological Resources Technical Memorandum.pdf
- Appendix V Consistency with Plans and Policies Technical Memorandum.pdf
- Appendix W Parking Impacts Evaluation Technical Memorandum.pdf
- Appendix X Cost of Alternatives Technical Memorandum.pdf
- LRT 4B.pdf